Wednesday, November 7, 2018

SUNSHINE AND BAY AND CHILL


"Why am I crying?"
"Feelings don't live in bubbles. They're interconnected in our subconscious."




[Mahlena wrote this short story! Please leave a comment! 🙆🏾]


“Can I ask you a personal question?”

“Yes, but just one.”





September 2016


“I'll choose carefully.” On the section sofa in the living room, lit only by the television, Sunshine rested her head on Bay’s shoulder. “How did you choose this profession?”

Bay slid his arm around her as the Living Single rerun played on the screen. “Worried I’ll make a career change?”

“Not worried.”

“I was working at a spa in the Hollywood Hills, and one of the guests—actually more than one—told me I could make more with the agency. They were right. I’m still a massage therapist, but now with full release.”

“So it’s a money thing?”

“And time. On a good weekend, I can make my rent for the month in two days. During the week, I can pick up and drop off my daughter from school.”

“Does she know what you do?”

“That’s two questions.”

Sunshine blushed. “I went too far.” 

“Does your daughter know what you’re doing tonight?” Bay inquired.

“I told her I was having dinner with a friend.”

“Which is true. We ate.” Bay closed the forgotten pesto chicken pizza box on the coffee table. “My daughter’s in third grade. I tell her I help women feel better about themselves. She thinks I do makeovers like the Queer Eye guys. Everyone’s happy.”

“Are you?”

“Are you?” Bay countered.

“No, obviously. That’s why you’re here.” Sunshine frowned.

Bay turned to her. “Hey.” He ran his hands down Sunshine’s bare arms. “I got defensive, and I shouldn’t have.”

“I asked too many questions.” She shrank into the throw pillow.

“You asked something I haven’t honestly answered before and that’s my deal, not yours. I’m not happy. I don’t like to bring it up.”

“At work?”

“Ever.”

She shifted her body to look at him. “What would make you happy?”

Bay sat back. He let out a sigh of exhaustion. “I thought we were watching how Khadijah’s going to get herself out of this jam.”

They focused on the screen until the end credits rolled.

“What would make you happy?” Bay kept his blinders on.

“Knowing why my husband, ex-husband,” Sunshine amended, “left. I signed the Irreconcilable Differences papers this summer, and he moved the rest of his belongings out of this house, but he didn’t give any other explanation.”

“The flip side is knowing why and not being able to do anything about.”

“You know of what you speak?”

“My daughter’s mother, Mars. We weren’t married, but we were together for year. After she gave birth to Tib, Mars was never the same. She had a nervous breakdown soon after, left to take care of herself, and didn’t return. She hasn’t been a part of our family since Tib and I left Miami to come to California to stay closer to my mother.”

“That sounds like postpartum depression. I didn’t experience it with Agatha, but my friends did after their pregnancies. It’s hard to climb out of the hole, even with the help of someone who loves you. Would you like a tissue?”

Bay wiped away his tears with the back of his wrist. “Why am I crying? That’s not even the story I wanted to tell to explain why I’m unsatisfied.”

Sunshine handed him a box of Puffs. “Feelings don’t live in bubbles. They’re interconnected in our subconscious.”

“Deep.” He blew his nose into the soft paper.

“What was the other story?”

“It’s a long one. I’ll save it for our dinner next Saturday.”

“You should be proud of what you do,” Sunshine declared.

“Helping women feel better. Admirable, albeit misunderstood.”

“Thanks.” Bay threw away his tissues in the kitchen garbage bin. “Don’t you end up doing the same thing with your company? Financial consulting for women business owners?”

“Yes, but we keep our clothes on.” Sunshine winked.

Bay washed his hands and rejoined his friend on the couch. “You and I haven’t taken our clothes off.”

“Yet,” she clarified. “Let’s keep dinner short next week. I’m ready for a massage. Well, I will be. By then. Don’t forget your story.”



FIN


[What makes you cry?
Did you read the whole story? Congratulations! 
Please leave a comment!🙆🏾]



Become a Patron!


No comments:

Post a Comment